just spent the evening watching “E.T. — The Extra Terrestrial,” and I’ve got to say this movie brings back so many memories for me. Why’s that? Aside from being a great flick, it’s set in a time frame that I remember so well it practically transports me back.
The movie literally kick-starts old memories for me. Here are just a few…
- Playing with Star Wars figures.
- It was a time when kids could be left alone for the day.
- Reese’s Pieces — Remember how cool they were?
- Kids going out by themselves for Halloween trick-or-treating.
- Kids dressed up as Star Wars characters, because it was cool, not because it was nostalgic. (The Yoda meets E.T. joke)
- Dee Wallace plays the mom. Wasn’t she the mom in every 1980s film?
- Pull-tab beer cans! Man it sucked to step on one of those!
- Life in the housing development. Kids everywhere. Houses everywhere. Cable TV.
- Playing “Dungeons & Dragons” with a bunch of kids who could barely figure out the rules.
- “Tom & Jerry” on TV every afternoon!
- “Space Invader” t-shirts were cool, not retro.
- Bragging about your high score on Asteroids.
- The 1980s was the era of the Single, Divorced Mom.
- The start of Drew Barrymore’s film career.
- The start of Erika Eleniak‘s film career. (And let’s not forget her stint as a Playboy Bunny and then as a Baywatch babe!)
- Character lightswitch plates! In this movie, Elliot has an Incredible Hulk wallplate. I had a Bozo wallplate!
- Buck Rogers was still in the comic strips, probably thanks to the Buck Rogers TV show.
- C. Thomas Howell played a neighbor kid.
- Speak-n-Spells could be made into interstellar communication devices!
So with that in mind, what movie or TV show sends you back in time … What’s your iconic 1980s (or any other era) movie?
Leave a Reply